Wednesday, July 7, 2010

be joyful.

It was another wonderful and exhausting day at Emmanuel. I'm learning things all the time, and I'm really trying to take everything in. I love being with the toddlers, because they are precious. It breaks my heart to think that they don't have a earthly mother or father that cares for them. Whenever I hold them the only thing that comes to mind is the song "Jesus loves the little children, all the children the world...They are precious in His sight". They keep me constantly laughing. Its hard enough to control 14 toddlers, but the language barrier makes it even harder, but makes it more comical! I've changed lots of dirty diapers so I'm ready to actually help change the diapers of the new baby Hannah:) [I think I can handle it now]. Honduran style of changing a baby is quite different than American style. Due to the lack of wipes and funds, to change a kid they stick the kid in the sink and wipe them down with a sponge (the same one for all kids..yes i know it is gross!) but you have to do what you have to do I guess?! Actually today, Erin (another volunteer) and myself were changing one of the little boys and the drain got clogged hahaha. It caused a good laugh and we got it under control. We are learning to be domestic in ALL areas of life!

Sometimes I think God places people in our lives to teach us things and be examples so we can see how we are supposed to live. I realized today that the Lord placed a little girl, Sandra in my life to teach me what it really means to be joyful. She is a 9-year old girl in the toddler house that is either bound to a wheelchair or is laying on the ground. She is not able to speak words or communicate with the people around her. By worldly standards she should be sad all the time, but she radiates joy. She is truly the most joyful person I have ever seen. I'm blessed to watch Sandra just enjoy life. Her joy is so simple, yet it is so contagious. I thank God for using Sandra to teach me one of the most simple tasks of life...joy.

"but the fruit of the Spirit is love, JOY, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control" Galatians 5:22-23


Happy at the 4th of July Celebration (these are a few days late)

Just being domestic...baking a cake

Beautiful Honduras
In the town of Guaimaca to get groceries for the week!


me and Olbie

My cool friends doing the Honduran pose...attempt at a "sexy" pose without a smile

Precious Enoch

Joyful Sandra

Honduran style of eating for toddlers...priceless

No comments:

Post a Comment