Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hello Honduran Makeover...

Last night, all of the volunteers got to hear David and Lydia's (the people who started Orphanage Emmanuel) testimony at our volunteer meeting. It was really great to hear how they were called to Honduras and just to hear all that they did to get here. They lived every single day by faith and they continue to do so. It is really encouraging to hear people do that, and to see that when we do that God will provide for us. I've been really challenged just to live everyday by faith, because I don't know what God has in store for me, but I know that He does and I have to remember that. I have also just been trying to figure out what ways God wants to use my life to glorify Him. It was awesome to hear about all the stories and really made me appreciate this place even more than I already do!

This morning we did our normal morning activities with the special needs kids. After we finished that we took the most well-behaved ones to the school program. The school program was "The Day of Inidans"...in Espanol of course. But it was so funny, some of the kids were dressed in indian costumes and danced around the circle. Well, that is actually all I got from it, because I could not understand anything that they were saying. It was like a normal school program, just without the parents. That was one of the few times that I remembered that these kids were orphans, you kind of forget about that everyday.

I'm already getting sad thinking about leaving the kids here. I actually got to have a "real" conversation with one of the older girls. She speaks a little bit of english, and I can understand a little bit of Spanish so we made it work. We just talked about life and it was neat to see that the language barrier didn't stop the friendship from happening. She was also working memorizing scripture so she had her Bible out and she asked me what my favorite verse was. It was neat being able to look through the Spanish bible and show her some of my favorite verses: John 13:35 and John 3:30. I know this was something little, but it was a huge step in just building the relationship.

During our afternoon shower time, we got done showering all the girls so we were just hanging out. The older girls in the house always take pictures of themselves with my camera, and so they decided they wanted to take pictures of Olivia and myself. But before we were ready for pictures, we needed a "makeover". Yes we let 4 teenage Hondurans give us a makeover. They made us put on their dresses and HEELS, earrings, and makeup. It was quite an experience. hahah They really had fun doing it and all the girls enjoyed watching. When it was time for our pictures we just used some of the poses that we had watched them do! But, here are some of the pictures that they took of us. It's okay we know we look ridiculous so you can laugh!

The number of little boys in the clinic grew to 3 today, so I am staying here tongiht with them. I am supposed to give them all medicine in 3o minutes so I am waiting around for that. I didn't want to go to sleep because I was afraid that I would not hear my alarm. This is the latest I have stayed up in Honduras and I sure can tell haha! I'm trying to keep myself occupied so I will stay awake. I'm learning what it's like to be a mom, staying up with the kids while they are sick! Mom and Dad, I don't understand how y'all did it when all 5 of us had chicken pox at the same time. I only have 3 and their little cries in their sleep breaks my heart. But I just want to say thank you for taking care of me when I had chicken pox back in the day! Okay well that is all for now. I will be home a week from tomorrow...weird to think about! ADIOS





Ninos at the Indian Program

No comments:

Post a Comment