Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Laughter


This was the reaction to my fall....Sweet Pedro running with open arms to help me!
Everytime a team of weekly volunteers come they get a tour of the campus and the history behind this place. Yesterday they decided to give all the long-term volunteers the same tour! It was so neat to see every part of Emmanuel and to hear how this place even came about. God really has His hand on this place, and it was awesome to hear how so many people are a part of making it work kind of like the body of Christ. Altogether it works!
After we got off the tour, I decided to run to my people [in the special needs yard] and I start sprinting forgetting that the yard is just a big mud field. Well I start running and shortly after both of my feet are above my head and I end up on my back in the mud. It was definately top 5 funniest moments this month. Everyone busted in laughter in unison, which caused more laughing. Sweet Pedro (a boy with down syndrome) comes running towards me to make sure that I am okay. He gently picks me up off the floor and leads me to the hose. Then all the other special needs kids start washing off the mud off my legs and arms. It was absolutely precious to see them care for me like that. The kids here are truly like a family and they take care of each other [I guess I am a part of the familia now]. At this point I am still having a hard time breathing because I am laughing so hard. As I walked back to my house to change one of the girls looks at me and says in english "Rebekah, Be careful" and then laughed. The rest of the day the kids would just come up to me and bust out in fits of laughter. I had no idea exactly what they were saying, but I knew they were laughing at the big fall. It caused much laughter and much joy in the yard the rest of the day.
Showering last night was full of laughter as well. The girls kept imitating my fall and had uncontrollable laughter. I was really glad that my clumsyness could bring joy to my girls.
This morning I woke up with pink eye! I keep joking that I am getting the FULL HONDURAN EXPERIENCE. Apparently pink eye is common here so they just gave me some eye drops so I am currently taking them 3 times a day. I don't know what they call it here but I like to say "Rosatta Oho" aka Pink Eye. My Spanlish is quite hillarious and so bad.
A man from Chattanooga sends a 18wheeler full of clothes/food/toys/lunchroom tables/moon pies/ anything else about ever 6 weeks. Well one came tonight and it was like Honduran Christmas with a little Mardi Gras twist (Mobile Mardi Gras that is with all the Moon Pies). All the volunteers just went up to the warehouse and watched the process of unpacking the 18wheeler happen. It was a sight to see! I am actually really surprised that no one was killed. There is a forklift that is zooming by as people throw the 100,000+ moonpies from everywhere. We just stood there and laughed as well. I am loving this place more and more.
Also, my sweet friend Taylor Gunter has a blog: http://chasingthecloud.blogspot.com/ I highly recommend it! I usually read it every night for a good laugh. Buenos Noches!!

"Rejoice in the Lord ALWAYS; Again I will say, Rejoice!" Philippians 4:4

No comments:

Post a Comment